The Genesee Center for the Arts at Genesee Community College is pleased to announce a performance-packed calendar of events for its fall 2011 season. The Center for the Arts is proud to bring several live performances and two eclectic art exhibits in the new Roz Steiner Art Gallery to the local community.
Live Performances in the Stuart Steiner Theatre:
- Tony Brown and the Faithful with opening act Swati, two acts of musical talent and originality will perform on Friday, September 9, 2011 at 7:00 pm. Tony Brown is a former member of upstate NY infamous Ozone, now touring with his band the Faithful, a gathering of experienced, eclectic musicians hailing from around the globe. Brown’s soulful, powerful voice, along with the acoustic world vibe that his band mates bring, creates a sound that mixes blues, folk, and alternative rock. Opening act Swati, a NYC native who began her musical career in the classical world, plays a twelve-string guitar that has been fitted with eight. Ticket prices are $12 adults, $10 seniors (55+), $5 students (18-) and GCC faculty/staff, $3 GCC students with GCC ID, and a $2 discount for GCC alumni with GCC alumni card.
- The internationally acclaimed one-women show, Lilia! comes to the Stuart Steiner theater on Friday, September 16 at 7:00pm. Lilia is a unique and spellbinding production about the extraordinary life of Oscar-nominated actress Lilia Skala. It is written and performed by her granddaughter Libby Skala. Tickets prices are $10 adults, $8 seniors, $5 Students, and GCC faculty/staff, $3 GCC students with valid ID and a $2 discount for GCC Alumni with Alumni Card.
- Genesee’s Forum Players present six “One Acts” - Fast, Funny and Fabulous, Thursday through Saturday, October 13-15 at 7:30pm, with a Sunday matinee on October 16 at 2:00pm. Plays include: ‘The Philadelphia’, ‘The Second Beam’ and ‘The Fifteen Minute Hamlet’, directed by Norm Gayford and ‘Blind Date’, ‘Naomi in the Living Room’ and ‘Foreplay or the Art of the Fugue’, directed by Maryanne Arena. Tickets prices are $8 adults, $5 seniors, students, and GCC faculty/staff, $3 GCC students with valid ID and a $2 discount for GCC Alumni with Alumni Card.
- Sponsored by the Genesee-Orleans Regional Arts Council 2011 Reach Grant and Genesee Center for the Arts, From En Garde to Encore: Theatrical Swordplay Workshop will take place October 17, 19 and 21 for students (12+) and adults, and October 24, 26 and 28 for GCC students and local theatre community members. The workshops will run from 6pm – 8:00pm in E214 studio. A final workshop production for both groups will take place on Friday, October 28th at 8pm, on stage at the Stuart Steiner Theatre. The workshops will be taught by Colin Dentino, owner and coach at En Garde Fencing School in Batavia. These workshops are free, however, students must register by October 10 and space is limited to 26 students per workshop. Interested participants may register at the Best Center by email: email@example.com or phone 585-345-6868
- A rousingly spooky (but not scary) Halloween celebration, Hobnobbin’ Goblins Halloween Theme Puppet Show by Robert Rogers Puppet Company will come to the Stuart Steiner theatre on Saturday, October 29 at 11:00am. The perfect occasion for elaborate marionettes expertly brought to life, to bring out the mischief and fun of this special holiday. Fun for all ages! Tickets are $8 adults, $5 seniors, students, and GCC faculty/staff, $3 GCC students with valid ID and a $2 discount for GCC Alumni with Alumni Card. An additional ticket special includes buy one adult or senior ticket and get one child ticket free!
- The Genesee Symphony Orchestra returns to Genesee Community College with its 64th season with one performance at the Stuart Steiner Theatre: “Halloween Spooktacular” on Sunday, October 23, 2011 at 4:00 pm. (A second concert, “Home for the Holidays” with the Genesee Chorale on Sunday, December 4, 2011 at 4:00 pm is scheduled but the location is yet to be determined.) Ticket prices are: $12 adults, $8 seniors (62+), $5 students (18 & under or GCC students with a valid ID) or $30 family (parent plus children 12 & under) and are available at the following locations: Hi-Tek Graphics in Oakfield, Bank of Castile in LeRoy, Roxy's Music Store, GO ART!, The Enchanted Florist, and the Box Office at Genesee Community College in Batavia. Tickets, if still available will also be available at the door one hour prior to the performance at the Stuart Steiner Theatre. Advance ticket purchasing is strongly recommended due to sell out crowds. For full schedule and tickets visit the GSO at www.geneseesymphony.com/
- The primary voice of community and educational theater in the Empire State, the Theatre Association of New York State (TANYS), returns to Genesee for their annual theater festival of workshops, demonstrations and performances November 18-20. Visit www.TANYS.org for more information on the 2011 festival, “Masquerade”. Contact the box office 585-345-6814 during weekend of event only! For the full schedule, reservations and tickets contact the TANYS office at 585-315-7576.
“This season is just bursting with live performances,” Maryanne Arena, director of Fine and Performing Arts said. “From music, to one-woman shows, to puppets, to swordplay, this season has something for everyone!”
For general information, contact the Genesee Center for the Arts Box Office at 585/345-6814, or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org. For door-to-door directions, sent via email, visit www.genesee.edu.
Fall Exhibitions in the Roz Steiner Art Gallery:
Open during normal college hours, admission to the Roz Steiner Art Gallery is free.
The Roz Steiner Art Gallery welcomes Yolanda Daliz and Anita Welych, September 8 through November 7 with an opening reception on Thursday, September 15, 2011 at 1:00pm. Daliz and Welych are two very different artists, whose background and experiences as Latina women have led them to work collaboratively since 1997. In 2012 they will celebrate 15 years of collaboration. “Quinceañera” (15th year) refers to a young Latina’s woman coming-out celebration, similar to the sweet 16 in American culture. Their exhibit will showcase past and new collaborative work, comprising wall work, sculpture and installation.
The art of Joseph Whalen will fill the Roz Steiner Art Gallery November 10, 2011 through January 6, 2012. An artist’s opening reception is scheduled for Thursday, November 17 at 1:00pm. Lockport, NY native, Joseph Whalen, will exhibit a collection of water colors and acrylics. From landscapes to pool halls, Whalen paints in the early 20th century realism movement.
# # #