The fifth annual ECO-Fest at Genesee Community College was bigger and greener than ever and welcomed approximately 1,000 attendees and participants on Saturday, April 17. A good, earth-friendly time was had by all, especially the furry, feathery and leathery guests! The annual ECO-Fest, is a fun-filled, educational event aimed at increasing awareness of important environmental issues and opportunities. ECO-Fest was part of several activities celebrating Earth Day throughout Genesee County in the month of April.
Attendees had the opportunity to bring in old electronics, paperback books and rubber sneakers, all to be recycled or reused. After collecting all day, the E-Scrap drive collected a record level 26,000 pounds of household electronics, approximately 6,000 pounds more than the previous year. The paperback book drive collected 270 paperback books to be shipped to military personnel through the Operation Paperback program. The Nike-Reuse-A-Shoe program collected 280 pairs of rubber sneakers to be recycled into Astroturf or insulation.
Results of the ECO-Tip Illustration Contest sponsored by Stephen M. Hawley and Associates at The Insurance Center were:
- Children’s Coolest Category: Pre-K Class at the GCC Child Care Center with ‘Plantable Greeting Cards’
- Most Unique Reused Item: Naoka Hayase (Japan) with ‘Re-Growable Cabbage’
- Best Illustration: Kathleen Hagelberger (Darien Center) for ‘Save Our Planet’
- Longest Term Impact: Joe Rimbeck (Alden) for ‘Green Up GCC’
- Greatest Innovation: Trevor Zauner (Darien) for ‘Zero Emissions Car’
- Most Fun or Funny: Joshua McQuillen for ‘Save the Trees, Eliminate Homework!’
- Absolutely Cool/Awesome : Jubilee Witte (Silver Springs) for ‘You’re Not the Only One on the Planet’
The ECO-Raffle, grand prize, an Adam Miller Toys and Bikes 21 Speed Schwinn Mountain Bike was awarded to Sue Becker of Varysburg, NY.
"What a GREAT GREEN way to celebrate Earth Week," exclaimed Steve Appleton, director and founder of Cool Kids! "Each year this event grows--and each year we grow green-er!"
Other Earth Day celebrations happening in Genesee County this weekend include:
- City of Batavia Earth Day Celebration
- Saturday, April 24, 2010 / 9am - 12pm
- Austin Park (behind Batavia City Post Office)
- Genesee County Earth Day Celebration
- Saturday, April 24, 2010 / 10am - 2pm
- Dewitt Recreation Area (115 Cedar St, Batavia) and
- Genesee County Park and Forest (Bethany Center Rd, East Bethany)
For further information contact Donna Rae Sutherland at 585-343-0055 x6616.
# # #
Photos from ECO-Fest 2010 are available at:
A photo of ECO-Tip Illustration Contest winner Joe Rimbeck of Alden, NY with his ‘Green Up GCC’ submission which won in the category of Longest Term Impact.
A photo of ECO-Tip Illustration Contest winners. Kathleen Hagelberger (left), Naoka Hayase (middle) and Trevor Zauner (right).