Genesee Community College’s Earth Club, Student Activities Office, and College Village are joining Cool Kids! to collectively produce the fifth annual Cool Kids! ECO-Fest, a fun-filled, yet educational event aimed at increasing awareness of important environmental issues and opportunities. All portions of the event are free and open to the public and scheduled on Saturday April 17, 2010 from 10:00 AM -2:00 PM at Genesee’s Batavia Campus with most events occurring in the College’s central Forum, Cafeteria or Clocktower Plaza.
Cool Kids ECO-Fest 2010 includes over 50 exhibits, presentations, activities, and prizes, and is an ideal experience for anyone interested in celebrating the 40th Anniversary of Earth Day. Several hundred people of all ages are expected to attend the event. Many of the prior year’s favorite environmental fun and educational opportunities will return, with a wide assortment of new options as well. Among them are:
- Clean Energy display with E-Vanhee Clean Energy NEW!
- Retro and Recycled Clothes by Alley Cat Purrfect Price NEW!
- Oh Solar Mio! With Buffalo Solar and Wind and Liberty Partnerships LIFE program NEW!
- Earth Day ECO-Tip Illustration Contest Courtesy of Stephen M. Hawley & Associates NEW!
- E-Scrap Drive- Featuring drive-up, curbside recycling service for RESIDENTIAL electronic devices (A $5 service charge for television sets)
- Pump ‘Em Up with Sloat Tires inflation station
- World of Wildlife Educational Encounters or WOWEE.
- Alternative Fuel Cars Display
- Renewable Energy with VP Supply NEW!
- Mercury Switch Out and Battery Quiz with AAA of WNY
- Sneaker Recycling (Sneakers only—no shoes, cleats, metal, or light up shoes please.)
- Paperback Book Recycling via Operation Paperback NEW!
- Tree Seedling Give-Away
- 20 Minute Kites! NEW!
- Big Bag Bash and Give-Away by Tops Markets
- ECO-Games and challenges galore
- ECO-Raffle for prizes of all kinds
- And, much, much more…
The “E-Scrap Drive” recognizes that one of the most rapidly growing streams of garbage today is “E-scrap” consisting of computers, monitors, television sets, mobile phones, printers, scanners, game consoles, and other electronics, as well as non-alkaline batteries that operate these devices. Community members are welcomed to drop off their old, unwanted E-Scrap free of charge. (There is a $5 charge for any television sets dropped off.)
Donna Rae Sutherland, associate director of Marketing Communications and advisor to the Earth Club has been busy coordinating the day’s events. “For our 5th anniversary, we’ve moved ECO-Fest to a Saturday and extended the event to four full hours. This will accommodate many more people who’d like to take their time at the event and fully appreciate all the different opportunities,” Ms. Sutherland said. “The event continues to grow each year, and we are anticipating 2010 to be no exception--especially as the fortieth anniversary of Earth Day.”
The Earth Day ECO-Tip Illustration contest, sponsored by Stephen M. Hawley and Associates is an opportunity for all ages to creatively illustrate an Eco-tip. Participants of all ages are encouraged to write, design, color and demonstrate an earth-friendly ECO-tip. There are no age or creativity limits and submissions can be individual or group efforts. For an entry form (not required) visit http://marketing.genesee.edu/images/Earthday_Contest.pdf . All entries must be received by 11:00am on April 17 to be considered n the contest.
Through active participation in ECO-Fest activities and pre-ECO-Fest initiatives, such as the ECO-Tip Illustration contest, attendees increase their chances of winning a variety of prizes, including the grand prize – an Adam Miller Toys and Bike’s Mountain Bike, at finale of the ECO-Fest event. (All winners must be present at ECO-Fest to win.)
For further information please contact Donna Rae Sutherland at 585-343-0055 x6616 or firstname.lastname@example.org .
# # #
A photo from ECO-Fest 2009 is available at: http://marketing.genesee.edu/images/ECOFEST09.jpg
PHOTO CAPTION: ECO-Fest 2009 collected over 500 pairs of recyclable sneakers, which were displayed in the word ECOFEST with Genesee Community College’s Day Care children.
A PDF entry form for the Earth Day Eco-Tip Illustration Contest: http://marketing.genesee.edu/images/Earthday_Contest.pdf