“With 2010 upon us we are opening the annual campaign to the community,” said Mr. Robert Boyce of LeRoy, general chair of Genesee Community College Foundation’s annual campaign, “The goal of the campaign is $379,000 for the annual campaign plus $80,000 for the Endowment Challenge Grant. The theme of this year’s effort is Extraordinary, selected to honor our extraordinary students and our extraordinary volunteers and supporters. We are so fortunate to have so many generous people who value higher education and the College’s dramatic economic impact on our community.”
Mr. Boyce announced with pride that the faculty and staff of the College contributed a lead gift to the annual campaign of an unprecedented $47,000. Fourteen thousand dollars of the faculty and staff gift is designated to the United States Department of Education Endowment Challenge Grant. Mr. Boyce pointed out that only a small number of community colleges across the nation receive the endowment challenge grant each year. Genesee Community College was awarded one beginning fall 2009 and for five successive years, the endowment challenge grant provides a dollar for dollar match for every dollar raised on behalf of students in need, up to $80,000 a year. Each year the goal is met, the endowment will increase by $160,000. After five successful years the endowment is anticipated to reach a total of $800,000. The endowment is held intact forever as only the income of the fund provides the support for worthy and deserving students in need.
The Faculty and Staff division was chaired by biology professor, Marirose Ethington of Pavilion. Ms. Ethington said, “A huge motivator for our generous support was the Endowment Challenge Grant. We see students in need first hand in our classrooms and around our campuses. We know there is a lifeline available so if we learn that a student is contemplating dropping out due to unplanned emergencies such as childcare or family issues, fire damage, car repairs—we direct the student to the emergency assistance program.”
“Genesee’s annual campaign is committed to maintaining scholarships and programs as well as meeting the endowment challenge grant, recently awarded to the College,” said Mr. Boyce. He emphasized, “The faculty and staff gifts were a start to reach our campaign goal, but alumni and community generous support is vital. Our next areas of activity are Livingston and Wyoming counties. Both counties have dedicated and talented volunteers who can lead up to the next step in the annual campaign.”
Livingston volunteers include:
- Livingston County Division chair: Les Cole of Caledonia, president, Commodity Resources Corporation and GCC Foundation board director
- Roberta Klapper of Linwood, manager, Linwood Turf Equipment
- Toni Ann Moore of Leicester, senior clerk of Surrogates Court and GCC Foundation board director
- Kelley Howard of Nunda, vice president, Five Star Bank, Lakeville branch
- Denise Morley of Geneseo, director of human resources, Noyes Hospital
- Roger Christiano of Batavia, president, Christiano Cellular and GCC Foundation board director
Wyoming volunteers include:
- Wyoming County Division chair: Rick Fish, Sr. of Perry, president, Complete Payroll Processing and GCC Foundation Board director
- Brianna Stone of Castile, co-chair, branch manager, The Bank of Castile, Warsaw branch
- Marty Griffith of Arcade, senior vice president, Five Star Bank
- Wendy Kiley of Warsaw, commercial loan officer, The Bank of Castile, Warsaw branch
- Margaret Dadd of Attica, attorney, GCC Foundation Legacy Council member
- Heather McClurg of Castile, customer service specialist, The Bank of Castile, Castile branch
- Jeremy Satchell of Arcade, branch manager, Five Star Bank, Arcade branch
The Genesee Community College Foundation was formed in the mid-eighties as a not-for-profit organization dedicated to providing service to and support of the College. Its thirty-member board of directors is comprised of business and civic leaders, and last year, the Foundation’s philanthropic support provided 536 scholarships to Genesee students totaling $284,184.
Contributions for support for the College programs and students may be sent to the Genesee Community College Foundation, One College Road, Batavia, NY 14020. For more information contact the Foundation (585) 345-6809 or firstname.lastname@example.org.