The Genesee Community College Foundation will once again accept applications for the Orleans County resident scholarships for the 2010-2011 academic year. There are seven scholarships available to students residing in Orleans County who plan on attending Genesee. Every year students from all over the region apply for Foundation scholarships to help defray the cost of attending the College.
Scholarships are funded by caring and concerned citizens, service organizations and businesses that value higher education and the investment in local residents to acquire new skills targeted for jobs in the regional workforce. Residents who attend college locally increase the odds that they will continue to live and work locally and become life long, active community members. Gifts to the scholarship program are made for general scholarships and for specific purposes.
Below is a list of scholarships available for the 2010-2011 academic year specifically for Orleans County residents. Students may also apply for other awards for which they meet the eligibility requirements such as in heath care or fine arts. All the information about the award process, deadlines and the application is online at www.genesee.edu.
- Cobblestone Country Federal Credit Union Scholarship – This scholarship is awarded to Cobblestone Country Federal Credit Union members or their children who demonstrate academic achievement and financial need. The Credit Union’s Board of Directors established this fund in 1998 with the hope that it is a source of inspiration to its members and their families that are seeking to improve their lives and their futures.
- Colonel James D. Fraser Health Careers Scholarship – This scholarship is awarded to Orleans County students seeking degrees in healthcare related professions and demonstrating financial need. It was established by Colonel and Mrs. Fraser. Retired Air Force Colonel Fraser graduated from Genesee’s nursing program in 1973 and is now a resident of San Antonio, Texas.
- Medina Area Scholarship – This scholarship is awarded to deserving students who reside in Medina or in surrounding communities. It was established by concerned residents of the Medina community in connection with the opening of the Medina Campus Center to inspire regional Genesee Community College students in the years ahead. Contributions from individuals, civic organizations or other businesses are also accepted to this fund.
- Miles Orleans County Scholarship – This scholarship is awarded to Orleans County residents who demonstrate superior academic achievement and exhibit financial hardship. It was started in 1991 by a caring and concerned citizen who values higher education.
- Orleans County Scholarship – This scholarship is awarded to worthy and deserving students from Orleans County. It was established in 2002 in connection with the Orleans County division of the annual scholarship campaign led by Marie Rice, Foundation board member and former branch manager of First Niagara Bank, Albion Office (now retired). Contributions from individuals, civic organizations or other businesses are also accepted to this fund.
- Orleans County Students of Promise Scholarship – This scholarship is awarded to students who demonstrate promise and potential as students and as citizens. The recipient must reside in Orleans County while enrolled at the College. Preference is given to students who are the first individuals in their families to attend college and have not received other scholarships.
- Undersheriff Merle D. Fredericks Criminal Justice Scholarship – This scholarship is awarded to Orleans County residents enrolled in the Criminal Justice program who demonstrate strong academic performance or potential and exhibit financial need. The Orleans County Deputy Sheriffs’ Association established the scholarship in 1998 and renamed it a year later in memory of Undersheriff Fredericks who served Orleans County residents for more than 40 years.
The spring 2010 semester at Genesee starts Tuesday, January 19, 2010. There are over 100 courses offered this spring at the Albion and Medina campus centers. It is not too late to register for classes. To apply for free visit www.genesee.edu/apply.
The Genesee Community College Foundation is a not-for-profit organization dedicated to providing service and support to Genesee Community College. A thirty-member board of directors comprised of local business and civic leaders leads the board. The Foundation, formed in the mid-eighties to provide philanthropic support to the College, provided 536 scholarships to Genesee students last year totaling $284,184.
Gifts to the campaign may be sent to the Genesee Community College Foundation, Genesee Community College Campus Center at Albion, 456 West Ave., Albion, NY 14411or to the Campus Center at Medina, 11470 Maple Ridge Road, Medina, NY 14103. For further information call (585) 589-4936 or 798-1688, or firstname.lastname@example.org.