The Genesee Center for the Arts at Genesee Community College is pleased to announce the calendar of events for its 18th season at the Stuart Steiner Theatre. The Center for the Arts is proud to bring in a variety of artists and productions to the community at large.
Live Performances in the Stuart Steiner Theatre:
Genesee Symphony Orchestra finishes its 63rd season with two more performances. General admission ticket prices are $12.00 for adults, $8.00 for senior (62+), $5.00 for students (18 & under or GCC students with a valid ID) and $30.00 Family (parent plus children 12 & under), available at GO-Art, Roxy’s Music Store and the Enchanted Florist in Batavia. Tickets also available at Box Office one hour prior to performance. Concerts scheduled are:
- Concert #3 "The Oscars At The Symphony" scheduled for Sunday, February 28 at 4:00PM
- Concert #4 "Around the World in 80 Minutes" scheduled for Sunday, May 2 at 4:00PM
The Center for the Arts continues its commitment of introducing performing art to children, families and schools throughout the Western New York area by presenting the Frank Higgins play, Anansi the Spider and the Middle Passage. The celebrated spider of African folklore springs to life in a series of action-packed, light-hearted adventures as a mother and her daughter are taken from their homeland and must search for meaning in their new lives. Special daytime school performances are scheduled for Wednesday, March 10 through Friday March 12. On Saturday, March 13th at 7:30pm is the performance open to the public with general admission ticket prices of $8.00 for adults, $5.00 for students, seniors (55+) and GCC faculty, and $3.00 for GCC students with a valid ID.
After ‘wowing’ audiences around the world, from Mexico City to Moscow, Sao Paulo to South Africa, CHICAGO comes to Genesee Community College. A true theatrical institution, Chicago has everything that makes musical theatre great: a universal tale of fame, fortune and all that jazz—one show-stopping song after another and astonishing choreography. Performance dates are scheduled for Thursday, April 8 through Saturday, April 10 at 7:30PM and Sunday, April 11, at 2:00PM. General admission ticket prices are $8.00 for adults, $5.00 for students, seniors (55+) and GCC faculty, and $3.00 for GCC students with a valid ID.
From the University of Rochester's Eastman School of Music and under the direction of conductor Mark Davis Scatterday, the Eastman Wind Ensemble will be making their Genesee debut with a one-night only event on Saturday, May 1 at 7:30PM. At the forefront of elevating wind repertory through musical recordings, the Eastman Wind Ensemble, now in its 58th year, has toured throughout North America and beyond, including Taiwan, China and Japan. For more information, visit http://www.esm.rochester.edu/ewe. General admission ticket prices are $10.00 for adults and $5.00 for students, seniors (55+) and GCC faculty/students.
2010 Exhibitions in the Lobby Art Gallery:
The talent of both local artists and Genesee students fill the Lobby Art Gallery at the Genesee Center for the Arts this spring. Open during normal college hours, admission to the Lobby Art Gallery is free.
- Len Rusin and George Graham: Wildlife Paintings of Two National Parks and Sculpted Gifts from the Past. Dual exhibit featuring artwork by Len Rusin from two National Parks; Acadia National Parks and the Grand Canyon along with glacial stones, unique in their colors, textures and shapes by George Graham. Scheduled for January 18 through February 22, with a gallery opening reception on January 28 at 1:00 pm.
- Fine Art Faculty Show: Faculty Artwork in a variety of formats. Genesee Community College Fine Art department faculty from all campuses exhibits a variety of artwork highlighting their collective experience and talents. Scheduled for February 22 through March 29 with a gallery opening reception on February 25 at 1:00 pm.
- Genesee Student Art Show: Genesee Fine Arts Student Exhibit. Genesee Community College Art students show their artwork focusing on current class work made in drawing, painting, 2D & 3D design, and ceramics. Scheduled for March 29 through May 3 with a gallery opening reception on April 1 at 1:00 pm.
- Genesee Digital Art Show: Genesee Digital Art Student Exhibit. Genesee Community College Digital Art students exhibit their current original digital artwork. Scheduled for May 3 through August 18 with a gallery opening reception on May 6 at 1:00 pm.
- GCC and SUNY Brockport Study Abroad Students: Photographs and Student Documentation of Dutch Culture. An exhibit highlighting digital photographs and creative writings by the students that participated on the Amsterdam Tour. The Study Abroad course included Digital Photography taught by Heather Jones and Sociology taught by Josephine Kearney, with an overall emphasis on documenting culture. Scheduled for August 18 through September 28 with a gallery opening reception on August 26 at 1:00 pm.
For more ticket information or reservations, contact the Genesee Center for the Arts Box Office at 585/343-0055 x6814, or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org. The Genesee Center for the Arts Box Office accepts cash and checks only, credit cards are not accepted. For door-to-door directions, sent via email, visit www.genesee.edu.