Bring sneakers! Bring E-Scrap! Bring the family! Save the Date of April 30, 5:00–8:00 PM for the Coolest Earth Day Ever!
Tuesday, March 24, 2009
Bring sneakers! Bring E-Scrap! Bring the family!
Save the Date of April 30, 5:00 – 8:00 PM for the Coolest Earth Day Ever!
Genesee Community College’s Earth Club, Student Activities Office, and College Village are joining Cool Kids to collectively produce the fourth annual Cool Kids ECO-Fest, a fun-filled, yet educational event aimed at increasing awareness of important environmental issues and opportunities. All portions of the event are free and open to the public and scheduled on Thursday, April 30, 2009 from 5:00 until 8:00 PM at Genesee’s Batavia Campus with most events occurring in the College’s central Forum or Clocktower Plaza.
“ECO-Fest continues to grow each year, not only in popularity with the community, but also with many new participating groups and organizations, as well as local and regional supporters,” Donna Rae Sutherland, associate director of Genesee’s Marketing Communications office, and co-advisor of Genesee’s Earth Club said. “Last year the public should be proud to know they collected and helped over 16,000 pounds of E-scrap and 400 pairs of sneakers “dodge the dump’. Sneakers were recycled into Astroturf with the Nike Reuse-a-Shoe program and E-scrap was disassembled, shredded or recycled.”
Cool Kids ECO-Fest 2009 includes numerous exhibits, presentations, activities, and prizes, and is an ideal experience for anyone interested in celebrating Earth Day. Several hundred people of all ages are expected to attend the event. Many of the prior year’s favorite environmental fun and educational opportunities will return, with a wide assortment of new options as well. Among them are:
- Live Llamas with The Critter Ranch!
- Inflatable Planetarium with Beaver Meadows Aubodon
- Mining for Minerals (take home gems!) with Penn Dixie Site Paleontological Outdoor Educational Center
- Earth Day Art Contest with Present Tense Bookstore
- E-Scrap Drive- Drive-up, curbside recycling service for all RESIDENTIAL electronic devices (now a $5 service charge for television sets)
- Pump ‘Em Up with Sloat Tires inflation station
- World of Wildlife Educational Encounters or WOWEE.
- Alternative Fuel Cars Display
- Mercury Switch Out with AAA of WNY
- Sneaker Recycling (Sneakers only—no shoes, cleats, metal, or light up shoes please.)
- Campus Clean Up
- Tree Seedling Give-Away
- Big Bag Bash and Give-Away!
- ECO-Games and challenges galore
- ECO-Raffle for prizes of all kinds
- And, much, much more…
Art work submitted from an Earth Day Recycled Art Contest will also be featured during ECO-Fest. This contest is open to all ages and will have a variety of prizes and awards donated by local community businesses. (See the sidebar story for additional information.)
Through active participation in ECO-Fest and pre-ECO-Fest initiatives, such as submitting a piece of original art to the Earth Day Art Contest, attendees increase their chances of winning a variety of prizes, including the grand prize – an Adam Miller Toys and Bike’s Mountain Bike, at finale of the ECO-Fest event. (All winners must be present at ECO-Fest to win.)
“Celebrating Earth Day in 2009 at GCC with Cool Kids will be even more fun and informative than ever before,” Sutherland said. “Each year we are amazed to see the participation of our local community members, and we’re proud to offer our region a way to have fun, yet educate people about the importance of caring for our environment.”
# # #
Celebrate the Spirit of Earth Day with the ECO-Fest Recycled Art Contest
The Earth Day Art Contest, sponsored by Genesee’s Earth Club and Present Tense Bookstore encourages people of all ages to submit original artwork that celebrates the spirit of Earth Day. Prizes will be awarded in five categories:
- Literary Arts (story, poem, or essay)
- Visual Arts (painting, photography, sculpture, crafts)
- Multimedia Arts (artwork that combines literary and visual components)
- Children's Arts (artwork submitted by children under age 12)
- Use of Recycled Materials (artwork that incorporates recycled items)
Entries may be dropped off at Genesee Community College, MarCom Office D110 by April 10, 2009. All entries will be displayed in the Lobby Art Gallery of the Stuart Steiner Theatre April 29 through May 1. The winning entries will then be on display at Present Tense with an artist’s reception on Saturday, May 2, 2009. Earth Day Art Contest entry forms are available at: http://marketing.genesee.edu/images/Art Contest form.pdf
For further information on the Earth Day Art Contest, please contact Donna Rae Sutherland at 585-343-0055 x6616 or at email@example.com.
# # #
Editors Note: A photo from last year’s ECO-Fest Art Contest is available at: