The Genesee Center for the Arts at Genesee Community College is pleased to announce the second half of its 16th season at the Stuart Steiner Theatre. Following a successful semester of drama and blues, the Genesee Center for the Arts is celebrating kids and families this spring by bringing to audiences some award-winning productions.
The Spring 2008 performances at the Stuart Steiner Theatre include the following Lobby Art Gallery exhibitions:
• Digital Art Exhibition: January 31 to March 14 – works from the best of Genesee’s digital art students, including theatrical posters, advertising, and more. Opening reception will be Thursday, January 31 at 12:30 to 2:00 PM. Featured students include:
- Barry Juckett II from Albion, NY
- Bobbi Clark from Fillmore, NY
- Bryan Wright from Batavia, NY
- Jessica Sobczyk from Eden, NY
- Megan M. Troy from Albion, NY
- Michael A. Cook, Jr. from Bronx, NY
- Robin Whittington from Churchville, NY
- Rodney Casey from Medina, NY
- Tiffany Patton from Medina, NY – who recently won a logo competition for the upcoming inaugural event “Experience Genesee,” scheduled February 28, 2008.
• Fine Arts Student Exhibition: March 20 to April 25 – featuring sculpture, ceramics, paintings, drawings, and design highlighting work from first and second year students, some of whom are not art majors at Genesee. Opening reception will be Thursday, March 20 during Common Hour.
• Melissa Newcomb, Recent Works Exhibition: May 1 to August 15 – highlighting recent design work by Genesee adjunct faculty member and local artist Melissa Newcomb. Opening reception will be Thursday, May 1 during Common Hour.
Live performances at the Genesee Center for the Arts continue with FAIRY TALE COURTROOM, a comedy for the whole family that shows the other side of everyone’s favorite fairy tales. The Wicked Witch and the Big Bad Wolf are finally brought to trial for preventing people from living “happily ever after”. After Snow White, Dorothy, Sleeping Beauty, The Three Little Pigs, Little Red Riding Hood and others take the stand to testify, it is up to the audience…as the jury…to decide the fate of the poor misunderstood villains. Produced by special arrangement with Baker’s Plays. Revised performance dates are February 28-29, 2008 at 7:30PM, March 1, 2008 at 2:00PM and 7:30PM, and March 2, 2008 at 2:00PM.
Delighting audiences of all ages and produced by special arrangement with Samuel French, Inc, PETER PAN flies into the Genesee Center for the Arts this spring. Based on the play by James M. Barrie, with music by Mark Charlap and lyrics by Carolyn Leigh, the original Jerome Robbins production has evolved into one of America’s most popular musicals. With additional music by Jule Styne, additional lyrics by Betty Comden and Adolph Green, and additional incidental music by Trude Rittman and Elmer Bernstein, PETER PAN follows the adventures of Wendy, John and Michael as they travel to Neverland with the mischievous little boy who wouldn’t grow up, where they join forces with the Lost Boys to battle the evil Captain Hook. Aerial services provided by “Flying by Foy”. Performance dates include April 10-April 11, 2008 at 7:30PM, April 12, 2008 at 2:00PM and 7:30PM, and April 13, 2008 at 2:00PM.
Ticket prices for both FAIRY TALE COURTROOM and PETER PAN are $6.00/adults, $3.00/senior citizens, students and Genesee faculty, and $2.00/GCC students.
Returning to Genesee Community College is the widely popular DAS PUPPENSPIEL, with their new production PICTURES AT AN EXHIBITION, hosted in conjunction with and performing live with the Genesee Symphony Orchestra. An award-winning production based on the vignettes of Modeste Moussorgsky’s musical masterpiece, DAS PUPPENSPIEL: PICTURES AT AN EXHIBITION is a rich blend of mime, mask, and puppetry which brings to life each individual title as it tells the story of a young boy growing into adulthood as an artist. Performances are scheduled for April 20, 2008 at 3:00PM and 5:00PM. General admission ticket prices are $12.00/adults, $8.00/senior citizens (62 & over) and $5.00/students (18 & under, GCC students with a valid ID). Tickets for DAS PUPPENSPIEL: PICTURES AT AN EXHIBITION are also available at GO-ART, (585) 343-9313, and Roxy’s Music Store, (585) 343-7222.
For more ticket information and reservations, contact the Genesee Center for the Arts Box Office at (585) 343-0055 x6814, or by email to firstname.lastname@example.org. The Genesee Center for the Arts Box Office accepts cash and checks only, credit cards are not accepted. For door-to-door directions, sent via email, visit www.genesee.edu.