The Forum Players at Genesee Community College, the college’s student-based acting group as well as a host of community members, will be opening the 2007-2008 season with the intense drama One Flew Over the Cuckoo’s Nest, by Dale Wasserman, based on the novel by Ken Kesey. Premiering Thursday, October 11, 2007 at 7:30PM in the Stuart Steiner Theatre, subsequent performances are scheduled for Friday, October 12 at 7:30PM, Saturday, October 13 at 7:30PM, and Sunday, October 14 at 2:00PM.
Produced by special arrangement with Samuel French, Inc., One Flew Over the Cuckoo’s Nest debuted on Broadway in 1963 before being turned into a major motion picture, earning five Academy Awards® and making stars out of Jack Nicholson and Danny DeVito. The play, by Dale Wasserman, centers around Randle P. McMurphy who, rather than go to prison, goes to an institution for the criminally insane, where he befriends fellow patients in an effort to battle the establishment, led by Nurse Ratched. Exploring the injustice of treatment of “mentally ill” patients, this play remains today a powerful statement on humanity and sacrificing oneself for the advancement of humankind.
As indicated below, cast members are Genesee Community College students and faculty, as well as members of the community:
- McMurphy - Johnny Dow, Rochester (GCC student)
- Nurse Ratched - Rachel Buckenmeyer, Alexander (GCC student); and Jeanne Morey, Wyoming (The two will be sharing the role during the run of the show.)
- Chief Bromden - Norm Gayford, Warsaw (GCC faculty)
- Dale Harding - Norm Argulsky, Batavia
- Billy Bibbitt - Justin Ryan, Penfield
- Nurse Flynn - Jessica Francis, Perry (GCC student)
- Martini - Norm Woodworth, Elba
- Cheswisk - Bill Moon, Batavia
- Scanlon - Joseph E. Buckley, Batavia
- Ruckley - Lee Albert, Batavia
- Dr. Spivey - Malloryann Burk, Batavia
- Aid Warren - Jessica Pierce, Batavia (GCC student)
- Aid Williams - Peter Flannagen, Brockport (GCC student)
- Candy - Brittaney Lang, LeRoy (GCC student)
- Sandy - Lucine Kauffman, Elba
- Turkle - Antonio Ware, Syracuse (GCC student)
- Patient # 2 - Samara Brown, Bronx (GCC student)
- Patient #1 - Ian Gayford, Warsaw
- Patient # 3 - Mark Sidor, Auburn NY (GCC student)
One Flew Over the Cuckoo’s Nest is directed by Maryanne Arena, Director of Fine & Performing Arts at the Genesee Center for the Arts. Vincent Elliott is serving as Technical Director for the production, with Choreography by Patricia Simmons.
General admission ticket prices are $6.00 for adults, $3.00 for students, senior citizens, and Genesee faculty, and $2.00 for Genesee Community College students with a valid ID.
Reservations may be made by calling the Genesee Center for the Arts Box Office at (585) 343-0055 x6814, by fax to (585) 345-6815, or by email to BoxOffice@genesee.edu. The Genesee Center for the Arts Box Office accepts cash and checks only, credit cards are not accepted.
For more information contact Christopher M. Montpetit, (585) 343-0055 x6814, BoxOffice@genesee.edu
30-SECOND PUBLIC SERVICE ANNOUNCEMENT:
YOU DON’T WANT TO MISS ONE FLEW OVER THE CUCKOO’S NEST AS THE SEASON PREMIERE OF GENESEE COMMUNITY COLLEGE’S FORUM PLAYERS. NURSE RATCHED, McMURPHY, MARTINI AND THE CHIEF WILL JOINED BY OTHERS ON STAGE THURSDAY THROUGH SATURDAY, OCTOBER 11TH, 12TH AND 13TH AT 7:30PM IN THE STEINER THEATRE, AND A SUNDAY MATINEE ON OCTOBER 14TH AT 2:00PM. CALL 345-6814 TO RESERVE YOUR TICKETS. AGAIN CALL GENESEE CENTER FOR THE ARTS AT 345-6814 TO RESERVE YOUR “INSANITY SEATS” TODAY!