For five decades, Genesee Community College has celebrated its graduating classes at commencement, and the College is excited about the upcoming 50th annual graduation ceremony on Sunday, May 20, 2018. The College, however, is also pleased to be introducing a new tradition this year. On Wednesday, May 16, 2018 at 1:30 p.m. in the Richard C. Call Arena, the “SUNYGCC Employees - Serving Beyond Expectations” ceremony will formerly recognize the many outstanding achievements of GCC’s faculty and staff. Among the highest honors are recognizing the recipients of prestigious 2018 State University of New York (SUNY) Chancellor’s Award for Excellence, which includes the following:
Award for Excellence in Faculty Service
- Timothy P. Tomczak, Professor/Director of Social Sciences
Award for Excellence in Professional Service
- Tara E. Conrad, Assistant Registrar
- Amy A. Masters, Technical Specialist/Financial Aid Retention
Award for Excellence in Scholarship and Creative Service
- Joseph L. Ziolkowski, Assistant Professor, Photography and Art
Award for Excellence in Teaching
- Candice S. Vacin, Associate Professor of Psychology
- David W. Johnson, Instructor of Biology
Award for Excellence in Adjunct Teaching
- Carol E. Geiselmann, Adjunct Instructor
- Raymond A. Boucher, Adjunct Instructor
Award for Excellence in Classified Service
- Raymond J. Strzelecki, Building Maintenance Supervisor
“Genesee Community College has long had a reputation for being a great place to work,” GCC’s President James M. Sunser said. “In the spirit of commencement and the hard work and commitment of our students, we have also wanted to recognize the dedication of our faculty and staff who consistently go beyond expectations in helping our students succeed. This new event is the opportunity to honor the many GCC employees whose passion and compassion are on the job every day.”
It should be noted that some College offices will be closed the afternoon of May 16, 2018 to accommodate the new awards ceremony.
In addition to the SUNY Chancellors Awards, the new “Serving Beyond Expectations” Ceremony will also recognize employees with extensive years of service at the Longevity Awards with benchmarks of 10, 15, 20, 25 and 30 years of service to the College. And, the College also created a whole new segment of recognition with seven unique categories of service in the newly adopted “Cougar Awards” in the following areas.
- Spirit and Community Award – celebrates exemplary school spirit
- Innovation Award – recognizes one who’s implemented idea made a positive impact on GCC
- Cougar Salute – honors a supervisor or manager consistently demonstrating GCC’s core values
- Teamwork Award – praises superior performance by a department or cross functional team
- Rookie of the Year Award – acknowledges the outstanding achievements of a new staff member
- Inclusive Excellence Award – commends a significant role in embracing the diversity, equity and inclusiveness of the campus community
- President’s Award – distinguishes the efforts and services of an individual in support of the college’s mission and strategic priorities
The Cougar Award nominees are secret until the awards ceremony and recipients will be named live during the event.
Lastly, but no less important, the “Serving Beyond Expectations” Ceremony recognizes the numerous accomplishments and contributions made by GCC’s faculty and staff throughout the past academic year. The number and breadth of these achievements exemplifies the quality and compassion that seems near endemic across all departments and divisions at GCC. Forty-four members of GCC’s staff, and many of them with multiple honors and recognitions are listed under the general Awards category. From professional presentations to serving as a panelist, board member, keynote speaker, juror, volunteer, evaluator, singer, exhibitor and even earning a certified drone piloting license—GCC staff members are an active collection of top-notch professionals motivated by passion, patriotism and the idea of making the community a better place to live and work.
A follow-up news alert will be released just after the “SUNYGCC Employees-Serving Beyond Expectations” Ceremony with the complete details of all recipients and photographs. For more information, contact Marketing Communications Associate Director Donna Rae Sutherland at (585) 343-0055 ext. 6616, or via email: firstname.lastname@example.org.
# # #
The new logo for the GCC’s Employees Serving Beyond Expectation is available at: http://marketing.genesee.edu/images/EmployeesServingBeyondExpectations_Logo.jpg